Energy efficiency is critical to solving today’s energy, health and climate-disruption challenges. The Alliance to Save Energy estimates that energy and conservation efforts since 1973 have saved us more energy than any single energy source, including oil, natural gas, coal and nuclear power, has produced.
Projects that encourage “green” behavior do not have to be large-scale or expensive to be successful and have wide impact. Simple changes by church leaders and congregations can lead to substantial savings.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that if America’s 370,000 houses of worship cut their energy use by only 20 percent, they would:
- Save nearly $630 million each year that could be redirected to ministries, missions and priorities.
- Cut electricity use by 3.6 billion kWh of electricity annually.
- Prevent more than 2.6 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions every year, which is about the equivalent to the emissions of 480,000 cars or to planting nearly 600,000 acres of trees.
But where should you start? We can help.
We offer an energy savings analysis by trained engineers at no charge to congregations.* We can help you establish your baseline and then walk you through your building and possible ways you can save money and energy, starting with those that are no- and low-cost.
Request an Energy Savings Analysis now
If you want to go further than the no- and low-cost recommendations, we and our partners at US Green Building Council North Carolina (USGBC NC) can help you with your planning. So if you are planning an energy retrofit, email us at email@example.com.
Check out these resources and other possible actions:
- Explore what other congregations are doing by reading in-state success stories (scroll below the map and click on the Energy tab for a list of congregations linked to success stories).
- Share your questions and ideas on our climate forum!
- Consider serving on our Energy Working Group.
- Check out complementary energy programs.
- Browse our amazing energy resources, including a Solar Clearinghouse!
- Advocate for a clean renewable energy future at the state and federal level. Check out our Advocacy Toolkit.
- Participate in our current Putting Faith in Action Campaign.
*NCIPL is pleased to offer these services at no charge to congregations and is always grateful for donations of any size to help continue to make this service possible.