Below are faith tradition statements, covenants on climate change and creation care, recommended books, videos, free downloads and links to resource pages on other sites which we hope will be useful. Check back frequently since we actively update this list as new resources come to our attention.
- 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life. Matthew Sleeth, MD. Tyndale House Publishers, 2012. Request from our Lending Library.
- Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We’re in without Going Crazy. By Joanna Macy & Chris Johnstone. New World Library, 2012.
- Claiming Earth as Common Ground: the Ecological Crisis through the Lens of Faith. Edited by Andrea Cohen-Kiener. Forward by Rev. Sally Bingham. Skylight Paths Publications, 2009.
- Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet. Bill McKibbon. Henry Holt & Company, 2010. Request from our Lending Library.
- Earth-Honoring Faith: Religious Ethics in a New Key. Larry L Rasmussen. Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Environmental Theology. 4 volume series. Baptised into Wilderness; A Christian Perspective on John Muir. Beauty of the Lord; Awakening the Senses. Hope for the Land; Nature in the Bible. Reclaiming America. By Richard Cartwright Austin. Creekside Press, late 1980s – early 1990s. Creekside Press gives special consideration to non-profit groups wishing to study this work.
- The Eleventh Commandment Caring for Creation: Words of Wisdom from the World’s Great Faith Traditions. Edited by Christine Williams. Forward by Bill McKibben.Earth Faith Publications, 2011.
- The Green Bible: Understand the Bible’s Powerful Message for the Earth. HarperCollins Publishers, 2008. Request from our Lending Library.
- Love God, Heal Earth: 21 Leading Religious Voices Speak Out on our Sacred Duty to Protect the Environment. Sally G. Bingham. St. Lynn’s Press, 2009. Request from our Lending Library.
- Making Peace with the Land. Fred Bahnson and Norman Wirzba. InterVarsity Press, 2012. Request from our Lending Library.
- Sacred Acts: How Churches are Working to Protect Earth’s Climate. Mallory McDuff. New Society Publishers, 2012. Request from our Lending Library.
- Blessed Earth This two-part film series and guidebook experience for groups is a creative and compelling call for Christians to embrace sustainable living out of love for God, neighbor, and all of creation.
- The Hungry Tide, Tom Zubrycki. The central Pacific nation of Kiribati is one of the countries in the world most vulnerable to climate change. Sea level rise and increasing salinity are threatening the lives of 105,000 people spread over 33 atolls in this remote corner of the Pacific. 53 minutes – TheHungryTide.com.au/. Request from our Lending Library.
- Journey of the Universe This film and book project is a collaboration of evolutionary philosopher Brian Thomas Swimme and historian of religions Mary Evelyn Tucker. They weave a tapestry that draws together scientific discoveries in astronomy, geology, and biology with humanistic insights concerning the nature of the universe.
- Renewal is the first feature-length documentary film to capture the vitality and diversity of today’s religious-environmental activists. –RenewalProject.net. Request from our Lending Library.
- Preparing the Way: A Social Justice Study for Lent, NC Council of Churches. This simple 10-page document combines traditional Lenten themes and Bible passages with contemporary issues including hunger, care of creation, and immigration. We invite you to join us in this season of reflection and preparation. –NC Council of Churches
Faith Statements & Covenants on Climate Change and Creation Care
- Baha’i International Community. Seizing the Opportunity: Redefining the Challenge of Climage Change
- COEJL The Jewish Environmental and Energy Imperative: a Call to Action
- Denominational Statement Excerpts Compiled by NCIPL
- Interfaith Declaration on Climate Change
- The following statements were compiled by Lee Foster when he was serving as a Duke Divinity School intern at the NC Council of Churches and NCIPL.
Links to Faith Resource Pages Compiled by other Groups
- Alliance of Religions and Conservation
- Baha’i International Environment Forum
- Blessed Earth
- Canfei Nesharim
- Caretakers of God’s Creation: United Methodist Stewards of the Earth
- Catholic Climate Covenant
- Creation Justice Ministries
- Earth Ministry
- EcoSikh Network
- Episcopal Ecological Network
- Evangelican Environment Network
- Franciscan Action Network
- Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Interfaith Power and Light
- Islamic Foundation for Ecology and Environmental Sciences
- The Forum on Religion and Ecology at Yale
- Green Seminary Initiative
- Jews United for Justice
- Lutherans Restoring Creation
- National Religious Coalition on Creation Care
- Presbyterians for Earth Care
- Teva Learning Center
- Religious Action Center for Reform Judaism
- Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth
- Web of Creation